Photojournalism and Documentary Photography International Class
Starting in the summer semester of 2017 an International Class will be established in the Photojournalism and Documentary Photography course of study, giving a fixed structure to the already existing strong international orientation of the program.
The International Class will be integrated into the current curriculum of the Photojournalism and Documentary Photography program and taught entirely in English. All classes will be held by faculty members. Special content will be added by additional workshops offered by internationally acclaimed photographers and other experts. We encourage undergraduate (bachelor) students from Europe and further abroad to apply.
- One-semester program, early March until July (summer semester)
- Full-time study (16 hours/week), 30 ECTS credits
- Language of instruction is English
- BA level
- € 350.00 student fees
- Location at Expo Plaza, Hanover, Germany
- Application must be submitted no later than October 15 for the following year
- 16 places will be offered each year for international students
In this one-semester program, students will learn how to visualize topics and contents for the entire spectrum of journalistic publications. The aim for the students is to develop their own photographic personality. This includes adopting a personal attitude towards their subjects and knowing how to position themselves with their photographs.
Students acquire basic knowledge in the history and theory of photography; they will become familiar with different photographic approaches and learn about social contexts, modes of action, and the influence of images in the media.
In a seminar on short-term reporting, students will deal with the structural elements and narrative form of the reportage and work on a final project. In a class called Celebrities on Location, they will be taught how to stage portraits in a studio and on site, use artificial lighting and interact with celebrities.
Throughout the course, various forms of presentation and publication will be dealt with, including classic magazines and photo books, as well as exhibitions and the basics of curating. Moreover, various concepts of portfolio presentation will be discussed, preparing students to start their careers and to work with future clients.
Infrastructure and Equipment
The students in the Photojournalism and Documentary Photography program are guided by a team of professors, lecturers and laboratory assistants. They have access to an extensive support system, personal advising and state-of-the-art equipment including a photo studio and darkroom, fully equipped computer and printing rooms, and a wide range of rental cameras and gear.
- English proficiency (at least B2 level/CEFR)
- University enrolment certificate (bachelor level)
- Health insurance
How to Apply
- Apply online
- After submitting your online application you will receive an email with detailed instructions on the further application process (you will be asked to email documents such as official transcript, proof of English language test score etc.).
- About 2-3 weeks after the application deadline, you will receive either a rejection or a confirmation of participation by email. If you need a more formal letter of admission besides the conformation email, please inform us.
Full-time scholarship for students from non-EU countries
Foreign students who apply for the International Class, can apply for a full-time scholarship of 6 months in parallel. This scholarship is endowed with 650 Euros per month and is aimed primarily at students from so-called ‚developing countries‘ studying at foreign partner universities or foreign universities with which partnership agreements are in progress or are planned.
Applications for the scholarship must be issued parallel to applying for the International Class. In addition to the normal application documents a maximum one-sided letter must be submitted, attesting to the special eligibility of the student. In addition to the academic qualifications particularly social reasons are decisive for awarding the scholarship.
Please send applications to: email@example.com
University of Applied Sciences and Arts Hanover
Faculty III – Media, Information and Design
Photojournalism and Documentary Photography
Expo Plaza 2